Sunday, January 27, 2008

Mexico ramblings~

These are pictures from a trip we took
to Mexico in the middle of December.
We weren't there for long but it was fun
to see friends and spend time in Nava again.
Below Heidi is helping me put together a food package.
We distributed food packages and heaters.
I've known this girl for years.
She became a single mom very young.
This is her youngest little one.
We were able to give her a heater and food package.
I'm always amazed by the creativity of some of the houses.
Heidi and a favorite Aunt "Lala".
We were shocked that Hallie actually
let Pastor Santos hold her. She doesn't like
anyone holding her that she doesn't know,
and if I'm in the room she rarely
lets anyone hold besides me.
I was noticing I don't have many pictures of Hallie Kate
on this trip, but then realized it was because I was
holding her most of the time or she was waiting in the car
with someone while we got out to hand out food or
heaters. The weather got so cold and she's also at the
age that everything goes in her mouth (actually she was
born in that age and I'm not sure when she's going to
grow out of it). So Hallie stayed carefully guarded with
me or my Mom most of the time.
This was right as she was diving for me,
Thankfully Aunt Gita was holding her tight!
How can you resist a face like that?!?!?


THE HISTORY OF THE VAN~

This is what a saw (below) in the front yard of a family we
stopped by to give food to. Boy did that bring
back memories or what!?!?! I had to get a picture!
I looked inside expecting to see Dad, Mom and
13 children filling up the seats but it was empty.
We had this van for years before we moved
to Haiti in 1994. We drove all over the East coast
in it doing presentations for Churches to raise
support so we could go to Haiti. Each of us
children had a part in the presentations so I
remember nervously sitting in the front row
(we all had assigned seats) riding to different
Churches and houses Dad always had Hosanna
music playing as loud as it could go to help
us get rid of the jitters. :) Not sure if it worked
but we liked it anyway. When we moved back from Haiti
we moved the van to TX with us. Once in TX we pulled
the seats out of it and it became
our "tool van" for hauling the house building tools back
and forth to Mexico, paint supplies, chop saw,
hammers, nails, etc. etc. etc. the van always
smelled like saw dust and paint.
Wow that van has been through a lot.
It finally retired several years ago to a
small town in Mexico. :) Nava.
Sorry about all the rambeling,
but I just had to post this picture!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I love all the Mexico pictures. The pictures of Heidi and her little friend are just so sweet.
The picture of the van brings back lots of wonderful memories of spending time with your family.

sethswifeforlife said...

Hey, I remember that brown van, and I'd wondered what happened to it! Isn't it funny how cars/vehicles even bring back special memories???
love ya and love all the pics.
Abs~

Anonymous said...

love the updates & pictures!

Anonymous said...

oh that was me by the way

lys

Patrick and Hannah Walsh said...

Those are really sweet pictures! I sure remember y'all pulling up to church in that van! Brings back a lot of good memories. Heidi is so the spitten image of you, and Hallie Kate looks just like her Dad!
Hannah

Anonymous said...

I loved that van!! Haha! My favorite memories were the times when that brown van would come pulling up our driveway and we children would by yelling and singing "the kennedys are here! the kennedys are here!". That seems like eons ago!
Anyways, you guys are in most all of my fondest memories! Haiti,Mexico,Texas all are wonderful happy memories!