Wednesday, May 28, 2008

In Loving Memory...


Abby, your post reminded me that I have this song recorded
with Shelby, Sara, Micah and I singing it. So many memories.
One of Shelby's favorite songs was "legacy" by
Nichole Nordeman. She definitely left a legacy. 
I can't believe it's been 3 years since I've seen her.
I miss her hugs, I wish she could hug me tonight.
Thinking about her makes me miss her, and not
so much wish her back as much as look
forward to being with her. I don't think I ever
thought much about or looked forward to heaven
as much as I have these last several years. Having
someone so close and special there makes heaven
seem so much more real and alive.
This picture of Shelby (above) has become a
favorite of mine. Although it makes me cry to
look at it's so convicting to me. Shelby's expression
in that picture reflected the upbeat and positive
attitude she kept through the whole long trial that
she went through. It's a great reminder to me when
I'm complaining about small and insignificant trials
I face on a day to day basis. Shelby was a very positive
and energetic person to be around, I miss that so much!
This picture was one of the last times she was in Haiti.
She already had quite a large tumor in
her leg at that time, and was in pain most of the trip.
Her love for Haiti was so strong however that
this didn't stop her from going.
Shelby had such a heart for missions.
The last big project Shelby and I worked really
closely together on was my wedding. Shelby and
Sara both put so much into that day for me.
One memory that especially stands out to me was
the morning I was to have my bridal pictures done.
Sara was doing my hair and we both realized that
we had all completely forgotten to get a tiara. 
The picture I had torn out of a magazine to buy was
made of shells with a star fish in the middle. While
I was stressing trying to decide what to do and Sara
was trying to keep me still to finish my hair Shelby
went threw her room gathering shells from her
amazing collection and with a hot glue gun made
an amazing tiara for me that I LOVED and still have.
She was our creative "Martha Stewart" of the house
with meals, organizing, decorating the house for holidays
or planning parties and hosting large events.
Shelby was one of the most creative people I'll ever know.
This picture means so much to me. This was the
last team we did where Shelby was full strength.
This was a couple months after Micah and I were
married. Anyone who ever went on a team with us
saw first hand what a crazy hard worker Shelby was.
After spending looong days in the Mexico summer
heat building houses Shelby would go back to the
house and make the meals for everyone, then
up first thing in the morning serving breakfast.
On the job site Shelby was the paint leader for
one of the teams. My Mom and us girls would call her
the paint pig (when we were little we had a book called
"Mr. Paint Pig") because she would wear her paint
clothes completely out till she was wearing more
paint than fabric. We've talked about framing
some of the paint clothes she wore.
Shelby was such a hard and energetic worker
who loved to serve in so many ways.
I'm so happy Shelby got to meet Heidi before she
left us. I always feel a special connection to her through
Heidi. So many of the things Heidi does (as a first born)
remind me of things Shelby (a firstborn as well) did.
When Heidi was first born we all thought she looked
like Shelby too. She doesn't look quite as much like her
now as she did then. After Shelby went to heaven my
Dad was reading in her journal about Heidi and she
wrote that "people say she looks like me, YEAH!" 
I loved that she got to meet her even if it was for a
short time. The night Heidi was born Shelby and the
family were at a hospital in Houston. They all came
as soon as they could to meet Heidi. 
Shelby and I were very different in many ways,
but she completely spoiled and mothered me
in every way, till I was married and came home one
day completely shocked realizing I had to make
my own food now and clean my own house.
Shelby and I always shared a special bond.
Growing up anytime I got hurt I wouldn't let
any of my siblings come near me except Shelby.
Shelby would always so lovingly take me to Mom
to get patched up. One time during a long hike in
Haiti I fell, completely skinning both of my knees
and elbows and cut a big gash in my arm that I still have
a good scare from. All of my many brothers tried to help
me offering to carry me back etc. but I wouldn't let
them touch me (yes I know I was a brat) Shelby
came and put my arm over her shoulder and very
slowly took me all the way back home which was
at least an hour hike UP. Shelby was the best
big sister I could have had. I miss her SO much! 

As this weekend comes I'm trying not to think
so much about what happened at 7:15 pm. May 31, 05
but rather how special Shelby was to me through out all
of the years she was here. About how grateful I am that
God gave her to me as a sister to know for 22 years.
I also want to think about Shelby now and what she is
doing. I think that she is dancing. I was supposed to paint
her toe nails purple for her but only got one foot done
that day so she has purple toe nails on one foot and
blue on the other. I think she likes it that way, purple
and blue were her favorite colors. Although Heidi
insists her dress must be pink I like to picture her
in a white dress, dancing with her hair down, and laughing.
I miss her laugh, we loved to make each other laugh,
especially at embarrassing times.   

I miss you Shelby and can't wait to see you again.


14 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Holly, thank you for sharing these memories. They made me smile and cry. The recording you have is amazing too... hearing her voice again. Shelby is still one of the most energetic, loving people I have ever known. It was so obvious that she loved the Lord with all her heart. I will always remember her and the influence she had on my life, from the time I met her. I had just noticed on my calendar earlier this week that it has been three years tomorrow. I can only imagine how it is to miss a sister that is so close to you... we love y'all and your family and we're thinking of you and praying for you. I love how you picture Shelby in Heaven... I can't wait to see her there!

McLanger said...

Holly,
Every year around this time since she's been gone I have thought of her, and you guys. I love the pictures that you put up, and what you said about her. She was the most beautiful girl I have ever met. I have so many great memories of her. I still remember coming to see her just a month before she passed away. I was so afraid of seeing her because I didn't want her to see me sad or crying or make her depressed, once I got there and walked into her room (the living room)I realized I couldn't depress her. She had her wonderful nose crinkly smile, and her bubbly laugh. That laugh was so contagious, even that day! Our family still talks about her smile and her laugh. I laughed once and Kate said "OH! you laughed just like Shelby!" ...so I'm not the only one that remembers her that way.
I feel so blessed to have known her. I love you guys and am praying for your family still. I think of you often.
Lots of Love, Morganne

McLanger said...

P.S Kate and Liv still loving call her "babby cakes" :-)

Katharine said...

Dear Holly, What a sweet post, I cried through the whole thing........I remember so much about Shelby and the fun we had together(the great testimony she was to others,letting Jesus shine through her). I think of her often and wish I could of seen her one last time, but I'm thankful that I was able to go to TX for her memorial service. I know y'all must miss her soooo very much, Y'all are in our thoughts and prayers often. Much Love, Katie Maynard(Schmidt)

sethswifeforlife said...

ok, you had me crying reading all that. I'm sure you couldn't even write that without crying!
love love your memories of her.
I imagine her dancing, smiling, singing, and laughing as well. Can't wait to see her again when we see our Savior Jesus!!!!!
I love that I got to know you both as sisters, even before you were my "sister." And see her as the paint pig, the "Martha Stewart" of your guys house, and see her helping organize your wedding. And hear and see pics of all her Haiti trips.

love you muchly. Wish I was there to give you a sisterly hug tonight, although it can never be replaced. I am glad I can hug you when I see you.
Will miss you guys bad this weekend and the birthday party for special Hallie Kate.
love that baby girl.

Kristin said...

Holly what you shared was so incredibly sweet. You have such sweet memories with your amazing sister. I love all of the pictures and memories you shared. I love your postive attitude of looking forward to what lies ahead...knowing one day you will be with her again. How sweet that reunion will be! thank you for sharing you heart and reminding us of Shelby's postive outlook in life despite the storm she faced. By the way, I think you have some of that same sweetness that Shelby had and I think that's why you had such a close connection. Love you!

Patrick and Hannah Walsh said...

Holly, I have been thinking of you all this week, and about Shelby's life, knowing it was going to be three years soon. It made me cry to read what you wrote, and certainly when I heard the song. I still can hear the song in my head that y'all had played at her memorial service, and everytime I think about that, I cry. I have so many memories of her, and she used to tease you and I when we were together, saying we talked with our eyes : ) Those days before your wedding I was there, and I know she was your right hand! I love you girl, and I'm praying for you. I can't even imagine what it's like to lose someone so close. I'll try calling you again soon!
Love,
Hannah

The Anders said...

Wow, Holly! Your post was so sweet and made me cry. It was incredible to hear her singing. Shelby was one of the most joyful people that I have ever known. She had a smile that would make me smile! She definitely let the light of Jesus shine through her!Hearing that song brought back so many memories of times with your family.
~Joy

Anonymous said...

I can't say anything anyone else hasn't already said? but I've been thinking of you this past week. And Shelby. I know she meant so much to you. I know because my first born big sister means so much to me. There is nothing quite like that relationship. When I think of you missing her, I think of me missing my big sister - I know I would in the same way. There is that special bond. I know you have your moments, but I have also seen you look to Jesus through it all -- understanding that heaven is real -- and that she is with Jesus -- not allowing selfpity to get in the way of your relationship with Jesus Christ Himself. Thank you. You may never know the testimony Shelby was to many... but, truth be told, you have been a testimony to many as well in your response and love for her and for Jesus --

I love you Holly. We will never forget Shelby.

Anonymous said...

ps. is it just me, or does Morgan look a little like Shelby as a little girl?

also, I remember that morning of doing your bridal shots! that shell thing she made for your hair was AMAZING. I LOVED spending that special afternoon with you sisters. you all always worked together so well.

lys

Chelsea Hudson said...

HI Holly! This post is precious to me. I know how painful/introspective/sobering these kind of "anniversaries" are.... My heart goes out to you so very much. When I think of Shelby the next word that ALWAYS comes to mind immediately is JOY... pure , unadulterated, un-fake, REAL, lasting, enduring joy. Just thinking about her smile and her zeal and thirst for life, her contagious joy brings me to tears... We had some special talks that I will always treasure even though I wasn't as close to her as so many others.Thanks for sharing your heart!

Chelsea
www.xanga.com/johnandchels

Anonymous said...

Holly, Kristin just told me about your blog site. Thank you for sharing your memories and writing about Shelby...tears are flowing---are streaming down my face. I love to remember Shelby; I love to think of her. I love to imagine her with Jesus. I love to picture her smile in Heaven.
I never knew about her toes!
I know God got me here in San Antonio right in time to see her before she went to be with Jesus. I was scheduled to fly in on Wednesday, the day after she went to Heaven. We were in San Diego and I sat at the computer late one night --about a week before I was to fly to SA. Jeremy was asleep and I just kept thinking is there any way I could get to see Shelby sooner. I looked online and saw that since my ticket was Southwest, I could switch the day and fly in Saturday with no extra charge. I woke up Jeremy and asked him if I could leave earlier. He said yes, and I went and booked the flight. Later I saw that as God's goodness to me that I made it to your house and was able to talk to Shelby one last time before she went HOME. I still thank the Lord for that provision.
I love you and pray you will feel God's peace and joy all around you.

Love,Ladonna

Anonymous said...

don't know you.. clicked over here from the link on Lys' site.. but had to tell you what a touching and beautifully written tribute this is to your sister. she sounds like an amazingly sweet person - FULL of Jesus. and I love the picture you painted of her in heaven.. I'm sure she is dancing and rejoicing indeed - in the presence of her Savior she adored and served so well. yes - heaven grows ever dearer when those we love are waiting there..

thanks for sharing this. it's good for us all to stop and be reminded of what truly matters in life.

blessings to you. :)

Amber Hutchins

www.xanga.com/Hutch5

sethswifeforlife said...

I came here to read this again tonight. Because I heard two songs today that reminded me of Shelby and I thought how fitting to hear them THIS particular week.
I am thinking of you & your family and praying for you guys! LOVE YOU!